24 August 2009

Holidays...

Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Current mood: contemplative
As the holidays are upon us, I would like to send everyone warm greetings. I would also like to admonish everyone to remember why we celebrate this time of year. I don't care what religion you are or are not, what country you are from or whether you are rich or poor. This is a season of fellowship, friendship and family. It is most poignant this year, for me, as this year I am very monetarily poor. But I don't feel poor. In fact, I feel more seasonally inspired than other years. Perhaps this is because I have nothing to focus on but the friendship and family - this year all I can give is fellowship.

This year it will not be about the presents. This year I will focus on the friends I can keep in touch with, the family I can spend a moment with - the time I can share. Isn't that really the best gift we can give? I will go out each day and greet strangers with a smile and a kind word. I will stand in holidays lines at the post office and grocery with patience. I will send greetings to far away friends with sincerity. I will try to visit those who cannot come and visit me. I will find the time to sit down and listen to my family share their joys and sorrows. I will give what I have to give. I will give my time, myself. And it just might be the best Christmas yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment